Yesterday I was stung, through my suit… Thank goodness it was only one little lady that sacrificed her life! But, one of the most uncomfortable feelings is a bee sting. Every person reacts differently to stings. I am allergic, not highly allergic, but uncomfortable allergic. My stings usually last about 2 weeks; this is because I am highly allergic to yellow jackets & wasps (emergency room allergic).
Number 1 rule when getting stung: remove the stinger with a credit card, or similar card, by scraping it against the skin. This allows the stinger to be removed in one piece. If a stinger is pulled out by tweezers, you are likely to disconnect the stinger & leave some of it in the skin allowing more toxins to be released. Once the stinger is released, be prepared to itch and itch some more! Here is a picture of what my sting looks like the day after:
As you can see the toxins have really caused a number to my thigh! The swelling is intense & feels about the size of a golf ball, maybe a little larger.
To treat the sting, I tried applying liquid Benedryl topically. This didn’t work for me, so I resorted to backing soda/water paste:
This option has definitely taken the itch out. We’ll see about the swelling…. So I’ve had no luck with the baking soda. Benedry was my next resort, unfortunatly its not working as well either. Next step, toothpaste… I’ve heard that it works to draw the itch out. Only time will tell 🙂
So now we are 1 week out & it still itches and looks like a bruise… Now, every person is going to be very different and how their body reacts to stings so my remedies maybe different from yours. So all week I have been taking 1 teaspoon of liquid Benadryl every 3 to 4 hours, and applying Cortizone 10 to the affected area. This was the only thing that would provide relief!